Policy Name: Academic Calendar
Responsibility for Maintenance: Academic Affairs
I. Policy Statement
The Onondaga Community College academic calendar shall be developed and approved in accordance with the standards and procedures set forth in this policy. The academic calendar shall contain an appropriate number of days inclusive of instruction, examination, advisement, commencement, orientation, registration and recruitment, and which comply with the requirements of any collective bargaining agreement(s) to which the College may be a party from time to time.
In developing the calendar, careful attention shall be given to the following factors (in addition to other factors deemed relevant):
- The relationship between the calendar and the number of hours of weekly obligation of faculty and students.
- Optimal utilization of campus facilities, with special consideration given to the summer period(s) of instruction.
- The effect of holidays upon the total period of instruction, and the possibility of closing all College offices and not scheduling classes on those days observed by the State of New York as holidays which fall on a Monday or Friday.
In addition, good faith efforts shall be made to avoid the scheduling of classes or other courses of instruction, as well as events such as registration, examinations or student convocations, on those days when a significant number of members of a particular religious faith typically observe the expectation of their faith and it is anticipated that they will wish to be absent from school or work. The College will endeavor to assure that instructional time or work requirements are met by other scheduling or calendar arrangements in these circumstances.
II. Reason for Policy
This policy is designed to ensure that the College complies with applicable provisions of the New York State Education Law, New York State Education Department regulations, and SUNY Board of Trustees Guidelines for Instructional Calendar Development.
III. Applicability of the Policy
All College personnel involved in the development of the academic calendar should be familiar with this policy.
IV. Related Documents
- New York State Education Law Section 224-a
- New York State Education Department Regulations, 11 NYCRR Part 605.3
- SUNY Board of Trustees Guidelines for Instructional Calendar Development
| Subject || Office Name || Title or Position || Telephone Number || Email/URL |
| ||Academic Affairs || Provost and Senior Vice President || (315) 498-2790 ||firstname.lastname@example.org |
| ||Registration & Records||Registrar || (315) 498-2350 ||email@example.com |
The academic calendar shall be developed by the President and the Executive Council, in consultation with the Onondaga Community College Federation of Teachers and Administrators, AFT, Local 1845. A copy of the campus instructional calendar shall be filed with the Chancellor of the State University of New York, or his or her designee.
Approved by OCC Board of Trustees April 3, 2006