Policy Name: Advisory Committee on Campus Security
Responsibility for Maintenance: Campus Safety & Security; Student Engagement & Learning Support
Date of most recent changes: June 19, 2018
I. Policy Statement
Pursuant to Article 129 A of the New York State Education Law § 6431, Onondaga Community College will maintain a Advisory Committee on Campus Safety responsible for evaluating and recommending changes to the College's campus safety efforts. The Advisory Committee on Campus Safety will provide upon request all campus crime statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education. Campus crime statistics can be found online at http://www.ope.ed.gov/security/.
II. Reason for Policy
New York State Education Law § 6431 requires the President to appoint a Advisory Committee on Campus Safety for the purpose of promoting the safety and well-being of members of the College community by creating a mechanism by which the College can evaluate and improve its campus safety efforts on an ongoing basis. This policy is designed to facilitate compliance with this requirement and to enable the College to implement effective measures for campus safety.
III. Applicability of the Policy
All members of the College community should be familiar with this policy.
IV. Related Documents
- Article 129 A of the New York State Education Law § 6431
Title or Position
Questions about the Advisory Committee on Campus Security
|Student Conduct & Community Standards
Director of Residence Life
| Questions about the Advisory Committee on Campus Security|| Campus Safety & Security||Director ||(315) 498-2173 ||[email protected] |
Composition of the Committee
The composition of the College’s Advisory Committee on Campus Safety will be as follows:
1. The Committee will have at least six members, at least half of which will be female.
2. The President will appoint one third of the committee members from a list of students that contains at least twice the number of students to be appointed. The list of students will be submitted by the Onondaga Community College Student Association.
3. The President will appoint one third of the committee members from a list of faculty members that contains at least twice the number of faculty members to be appointed. The list of faculty members will be submitted by the Onondaga Community College Faculty Senate.
4. The President may select the remaining members of the committee at his or her discretion.
5. Committee members serve at the pleasure of the President. Provided that the above requirements are met, the President may replace members at his or her discretion.
Responsibilities of the Committee
The Committee will review current campus security policies and procedures, and make recommendations for their improvement. It shall specifically review current policies and procedures for:
1. Educating the College community, including security personnel and those persons who advise or supervise students and security personnel, about sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking prevention, applicable laws, ordinances and regulations, and the penalties for commission of those offenses pursuant to New York State Education Law §6432.
2. Educating the College community about personal safety and crime prevention.
3. Reporting of sexual assaults and dealing with sexual assault victims during an investigation.
4. Referring complaints to appropriate authorities where necessary.
5. Counseling crime victims.
6. Responding to inquiries from concerned persons.
Each year, the Committee will submit a written report to the President, prior to the end of the academic year. The report will provide a summary of the Committee’s findings and recommendations. The report will be available to the public upon request.
Approved by OCC Board of Trustees April 3, 2006
Updated and approved by OCC Board of Trustees June 1, 2010
Updated and approved by the OCC Board of Trustees June 19, 2018