Standard 2: Ethics and Integrity FAQ
Ethics and integrity are central, indispensable, and defining hallmarks of effective
higher education institutions. In all activities, whether internal or external, an
institution must be faithful to its mission, honor its contracts and commitments,
adhere to its policies, and represent itself truthfully.
OCC has a commitment to its mission and values and equitably and transparently puts
them into practice on all levels of the institution in a way that supports its mission by
creating an ethical, impartial, and transparent environment that allows for the discovery
and address of important ethical issues as they arise.
Standard 2 focuses on the various ways the principles of ethics and integrity are
demonstrated and communicated at OCC, and how these help to benefit students,
employees, and the functioning of the College.
Questions to help understand OCC’s fulfillment of Standard 2
- In what ways has the College’s attention to ethics and integrity benefitted
- Legislative developments and compliance with regulatory mandates
emphasizes commitment to social justice
- Students know what textbooks will be used earlier
- All campus locations accessible to everyone
- No Space for Hate campaign
- Financial aid efforts
- Policies clarified and software tools made available to
- Staff trained to be able to help students on multiple issues
- “Knowledge-base” data repository created to help staff have
access to answers
- Student complaint process has been centralized
- What have the Conversation Circles done to support the College’s
commitment to ethics and integrity?
- Conversation Circles are broad-based employee and student dialogs about highly
sensitive topics. This initiative serves as a strategy to build awareness,
empathy, and advance social justice on campus.
- What are examples of the College’s commitment to academic freedom and
- Faculty handbook includes statement that College encourages full freedom of
inquiry, teaching, and research, and provides guidelines that pertain to “fair
use” of copyrighted materials.
- The college has an Academic Integrity policy that is clearly stated in the
Academic Rules. Web-based forms ensure that the maintenance and
enforcement of academic concerns will be standardized. Faculty are reminded
about the policy each year. Students are also informed of the policy in
different ways, and efforts are being made to make this communication more
consistent and standardized.
- How do the College’s communication policies reflect its commitment to ethics and
- Regular communication of critical information through email, social media, and
updates to the website, as well as notification from the President’s Office of any
changes following the annual policy review.
- Faculty and Employee handbooks are accessible sources of policy
information and guidance
- What does the College do to remain consistently compliant on issues related to
ethics and integrity?
- College policies are reviewed annually by Executive Council to make sure
compliance with external regulations is maintained.
- The Board of Trustees’ Finance, Audit, and Compliance Committee kept
updated six times a year on College’s compliance activities. Meetings are open
to the public and help keep everyone informed on a range of topics.
- In your role at OCC, how do you contribute to ensure that ethics and integrity are upheld, and what resources exist to help you to do this?
- Are there any other examples that illustrate the College’s commitment to ethics and