2018 - 2019 Audition Dates
- October 5, 2018
- November 16, 2018
- December 7, 2018
- February 1, 2019
- March 8, 2019
- April 12, 2019
- May 10, 2019
Each audition consists of a Theory Placement exam, Ear Training and Performance.
Theory Exam begins at 1pm. Auditions begin at 2pm.
How to Schedule an Audition
To schedule an audition appointment email the Music Department secretary at: email@example.com with the following information:
- complete mailing address
- telephone number
- social security number
- what instrument you play or if you are vocalist
- the date you have selected for your audition.
If necessary we can schedule you for an alternate date and time. You may also call the Music Department at (315) 498-2256 and leave the required information on the secretary's voicemail telephone line.
Required to be proficient in all major scales and have one work prepared from the standard literature for oboe
Must demonstrate proficiency in all major scales in 2 octaves plus 3 octave scales in C Major and D Major. One étude (example: Dotzauer, Lee, Deak, Duport, Popper) and one complete solo work or movement from the standard literature (NYSSMA Levels 4-6).
Required to be proficient in all major scales; two octaves, tongues and slurred; two contrasting etudes, one slow and melodic to demonstrate tone and legato playing; one to demonstrate technical proficiency or a solo composition from the standard literature for clarinet.
This major at OCC involves primary instruction on drum set and snare drum. Applicants will audition on drum set and snare drum. Those wishing priority consideration must prepare as many of the following requirements as possible. It is suggested that you prepare your jury with a private teacher.
- NYSSMA Grade 3 or 4 ( intermediate) snare drum solo and solo piece (sample)
- Sight read rhythms on snare drum (i.e., from Syncopation by Ted Reed, or Rhythm Vocabulary Charts, Book 2 by Ed Sueta)
- Demonstrate timekeeping in various styles (sample)
- A drum chart with cassette tape (i.e., From Studio and Big Band Drumming, Steve Houghton, or a commercial arrangement from a publisher like Kendor or Hal Leonard. You must play from a drum part or a transcription
- Any written solo etude or transcription (i.e., Modern Drummer transcription, Contemporary Drum Set Solos by Murray Houllif/Kendor, or Drum Improvising Studies, by Joe Lambert/Mel Bay)
- "4 bar breaks" in any style (four measure solos separated by four measures of timekeeping).
Applicants unable to fulfill the minimum requirements will be eligible for drum set study as a non-major (MUS 107 and MUS 108) along with other proficiency courses. After you begin study each jury (an end-of-semester final "playing exam") may serve as an audition for major study the following semester, provided that space is available and other academic requirements are met.
Required to be proficient in all major and minor scales, one octave; one fast and one slow passage from Pop, Jazz, or Blues Genres to demonstrate technical proficiency and musicality.
Required to be proficient in all major scales; chromatic scales; two major solos or etudes of contrasting styles (example: Arban Characteristic Studies or Prior, Clarke).
Required to have proficiency in all major scales, one etude (example: Cavally, Anderson, Ma Quame Taffanal, Berbiguier), one complete work from the standard literature for flute which demonstrates quality of sound and technical skills.
Required to have proficiency in all major scales two octaves; one slow and one fast movement from the standard horn repertoire.
Guitar - Classical
In addition to all the diatonic major and minor scales edited by Andres Segovia, music major candidates auditioning on the classical guitar should prepare three categories from the four listed below.
1. One movement from a Lute Suite, Cello Suite or Unaccompanied Solo Violin Sonata/Partita of Johann Sebastian Bach.
2. One etude by Carcassi, Sor, Giuliani, Sagreras or Legnani.
3. One prelude by Villa-Lobos or Ponce.
4. Two contrasting etudes by Leo Brouwer.
Emphasis will be placed on a solid technical foundation that allows for ease of execution and control over musical elements such as tone quality, dynamics, rhythm, vibrato and phrasing. Sight-reading will also be required.
Students who are not familiar with the classical guitar or reading are encouraged to audition for a program designed to lead to acceptance at the major level. In this case the audition would consist of a demonstration of proficiency in playing the guitar in any style.
Technical facility on pedal harp required, one or two etudes from the following harp exercise books (Holy, Grossi, Pozzoli, Bosha, Naderman); two compositions of medium difficulty from Grandjany, Renie, Hasselmann or Salzedo.
Percussionists are required to audition on snare drum and a mallet instrument for consideration as a major. Timpani solos are also welcome. Suggested audition materials include one rudimental solo and one concert style solo for snare drum, one timpani solo, and one two-mallet and/or four-mallet solo for marimba, vibes or xylophone. Additional sight-reading may be required.
Below are the recommended guidelines for a percussion audition. Again, these are guidelines and your audition material may vary - we just want to hear you at your best. If your present school does not provide training in mallets or timpani, you are still invited to audition.
- Snare Drum
- One Concert Etude (from Cirone, Goldenberg, Peters, Firth, or a comparable source.)
- One Rudimental Etude (from Pratt, Ludwig, Wilcoxin, Schinstine, or a comparable source.)
- I recommend that you choose an audition piece that does not require pedaling.
- One Exercise, Etude or Solo (from Goodman, Firth, Beck, or a comparable source.)
- Marimba Vibes or Xylophone
- One Exercise, Etude or Solo (from Goldenberg, Peters, or a comparable source.)
- Sight-reading may be required on each instrument.
The following instruments are available for your use during the audition:
- Snare drum - (several choices)
- Timpani-4 Premier
- Marimba-Yamaha 5 octave
- Vibes- Yamaha YW 2700
- Xylophone-Deagan Rosewood
Other instruments may be available upon request (prior to the audition date.)
Two classical piano works from contrasting style periods are suggested. Memorization is desirable as are major scales over four octaves.
Required to be proficient in all major scales, one to two octaves, tongued and slurred; two contrasting etudes, one slow and melodic to demonstrate technical proficiency or a solo composition with contrasting sections (a transcription of a Handel Sonata).
Required to be proficient in all major scales - one octave; one etude from Simandl, Nanny, or equivalent method book.
Required to be proficient in all major scales, two major etudes of contrasting styles (1) technical (2) legato, (example: Barat, David or Blue Bells of Scotland).
Required to be proficient in major scales through four sharps and four flats, have two etudes or solos prepared, one of which demonstrates quality of sound and musicianship, and the other which demonstrates technical skills.
Required to be proficient in all major scales, chromatic scales; two major solos or etudes of contrasting styles.
Must demonstrate proficiency in: all major scales (two octaves), one etude (example: Wohlfahrt II, Bruni, Mazas), and one complete solo work or movement from the standard literature for viola (NYSSMA level 4 or above).
Must demonstrate proficiency in: all major scales (two octaves), one etude (example: Wohlfahrt II, Mazas, Kreutzer), and one complete solo work or movement from the standard literature for violin (NYSSMA level 4 or above).
Required to perform two memorized songs, representing contrasting styles, chosen from solo voice literature.
These two songs must include:
1. One Italian, French, Spanish, German or English Art Song
2. One additional song of your choice
An accompanist will be provided free of charge. Students must provide the accompanist with the music for all pieces.
If audition requirements are missing for your particular instrument, please call the Music Department at (315) 498-2256 and we will give you the necessary requirements.
All auditions consist of a theory exam, ear training and performance pieces.