How to Receive Your Benefits

Make the Vets' Office your first stop at Onondaga.  It's here that you can get general information and assistance and help in filling out your VA forms quickly and accurately.  Academic requirements, VA benefit amounts, and when to expect that first check?  Ask any question - we're here to help you!

What to bring when visiting our office (bring all that apply to you)

  • Member 4 copy of DD-214 discharge papers
  • VA Certificate of Eligibility -- if you have previously applied for VA education benefits.
  • DD-2384-1 form (Reservist or National Guard applying for Chapter 1606 Selected Reserves). This form is obtained from your unit.
  • Any "kicker" (additional education benefits contract) documentation.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Authorization Form (1905). Provided by VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment counselor if you will be receiving Chapter 31 education benefits.

GI/Montgomery Bill Self-Verification

Almost everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30), MGIB-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), or Reserves Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month.  Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone 1-877-823-2378.

Also, to speed up receipt of your VA funds, we recommend you set up a direct deposit before your first payment.  The difference in receipt time is 3-5 days.  Call 1-888-442-4551 to set up direct deposit.