Immunization Requirements

Statement of Policy:

Onondaga Community College anticipates to fully uphold and enforce the Public Health Law, Article 21, Title VI, Section 2165 in regards to immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella and Public Health Law Section 2167 pertaining to meningococcal meningitis disease. The Law will not permit continued attendance by students who fail to provide proof of immunity by the 30th day of the semester. Students who do not submit their immunization records by the 30th day of the semester will be restricted from attending classes and living in the residence halls. Persons requiring or seeking additional information or have questions pertaining to religious waivers, should contact Student Central at 315-498-2000 and ask to speak to one of the immunization specialists.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR):

New York State requires all students enrolled in 6 or more credits born on or after January 1, 1957 to provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella within 30 days of the start of the semester.

  • Proof of 2 measles, 1 mumps, and 1 rubella vaccination, or 2 MMR's, or blood work demonstrating immunity to measles, mumps or rubella. (First dose of the MMR must be given on or after first birthday and the second dose must be given on or after 15 months of age.)
  • For students who cannot obtain their immunization records, they may submit serologic evidence of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella (antibodies are positive or demonstrate a level of immunity).
  • Students who were honorable discharged from the armed services can submit their military records- DD-214 form to show immunity. In addition to the DD-214, students must also submit a Meningococcal Meningitis Response Form.
  • Students with medical contraindications to immunization or who have genuine and sincere religious beliefs contrary to immunization will need to contact Student Central for the appropriate waiver.


New York State Public Health Law 2167 necessitates all colleges to hand out information about meningococcal disease and vaccinations to all students enrolled in 6 or more credits. Even though it is not required we strongly recommend students who plan to reside on campus to have the vaccination. Onondaga Community College is required to have on file one of the following for all students:

For more information regarding the meningitis, read the Communicable Disease Fact Sheet.


The following resources may be used to obtain documents containing evidence of immunity:

  • Prior/Current Health Care Provider
  • Prior/Current High School
  • Prior/Current College
  • Military Records
  • Infant Record Book or Clinic Record Card, if signed by a health care provider

Due Date

All Students must submit required immunization documents within 30 days of the start of the semester. Students who are not compliant under this regulation will be restricted from classroom attendance.