Transfer Students

The process for transfer students is the same regardless if you are transferring from another college, took classes in high school from another college or have AP, IB, CLEP, or earned military credit.

  1. Official Transcript (from other college(s) or College Board for AP and CLEP) must be sent to the following address.

    Onondaga Community College
    Registration and Records
    Attn: Transfer Credit Coordinator
    4585 West Seneca Turnpike
    Syracuse, NY 13215

  1. Transcript is reviewed for placement testing needs and applicable transfer credit is determined once you have been accepted and are matriculated in a program.
  2. You will be sent two notifications, an email/letter regarding placement testing needs and an email once your evaluation is complete with instructions on how to view your transfer credits in WebAccess.


Generally one to two weeks following receipt of transcript. May take up to three weeks during peak times (January/August) or if academic department consultation is needed.


  • If you are currently enrolled at another college you can send the most recent official transcript with completed coursework. You will need to send a final transcript at the conclusion of the current semester for credit evaluation of courses in progress.
  • AP (Advanced Placement) transcripts and CLEP (CEEB College Level Examination Program) scores must come directly from College Board. Transfer credit for these courses will not be awarded from a high school transcript. Please visit to request a copy to be sent to Onondaga. In most cases, we will accept scores of three or higher on AP exams and a fifty or higher on CLEP exams in applicable courses.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) credit is awarded for courses taken in high school with an HL designation only and a score of four or higher. An IB transcript must be submitted to receive credit. The high school transcript showing completion of IB courses does not suffice.
  • Credits earned through correspondence courses such as the U.S. Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) may be accepted at Onondaga based on college proficiency examinations, college boards, advanced placement, or similarly recognized testing procedures.
  • If you completed college courses in high school (other than OCC), you must request an official transcript from those colleges in order for the credit to be evaluated. Transfer credit is not awarded from high school transcripts.

Transfer Credit Policy

  • College credits are evaluated based on previous institutions’ accreditation statuses (must be regionally accredited), course content and applicability to your OCC degree program. Credits from some specialized institutions (such as Business or Trade schools and Technical Institutes), may not be accepted.
  • Some courses may have specific grade requirements at OCC, in order to receive credit upon transfer. Any course that does not require a specific grade shall be granted credit with a passing grade.  Please note: Some programs, such as NET.AAS and NUR. AAS, require a grade of C+ or better for certain core courses.
  • If you change your major after you arrive at Onondaga, transfer credits will be re-evaluated at your request based on your new major. Please be sure to select this option when submitting your Academic Program Change form.
  • At least twenty-four (24) of the academic credits for the degree/certificate must be completed at Onondaga Community College, subject to specific program restrictions. Certificate programs are calculated proportionally.
  • Grades earned at previous colleges will not apply to your grade point average at Onondaga.

Transfer Equivalencies

Transfer Credit Pre-Approval for Current Students

Current Onondaga students interesting in taking a course at another institution and transferring it back to Onondaga may email to guarantee how the course will transfer. The following information must be included in the email request.

  • Student Name
  • OCC ID
  • Current Academic Program
  • Name of Transfer Institution
  • Course Number, Title, and Number of Credits
  • Course description/syllabus

Transfer Credit Evaluation Appeal Process

Students wishing to appeal the evaluation of any transferred courses should contact the Transfer Credit Evaluation Coordinator at or (315) 498-2533 to request re-evaluation of those courses. Students may be asked to provide a copy of the course description and syllabus from the original institution. The Transfer Credit Evaluation Coordinator may consult with the department chair for the involved discipline or the Provost regarding the final designation of the course. 

Contact Information

Transfer Credit Evaluation Services
Registration and Records
Gordon Student Center  
Phone: (315) 498-2533