Explore the potential of the health care field
What You'll Learn
Being able to discuss and analyze the latest trends in the healthcare industry is critical to your success as a healthcare professional.
You'll learn how to track these, develop your medical vocabulary for documentation, and learn the necessary computer skills needed for medical information work.
We'll help you develop the critical thinking you'll need for working with health care information. We'll also teach you how to communicate in the different formats used in health care delivery.
Where You'll Go
Immediately start your career as a health unit coordinator, medical receptionist, or a medical scribe or transfer your credits into a two-year program at OCC.
5 years after graduating
|Career||10-year growth potential||Regional Demand|
Real Data from Central New York
- Data reflect previous twelve-month period in the Syracuse Metropolitan Area and surrounding five-county Central New York region.
- Salary gathered from SUNY Graduate Wages (data source: NYS Unemployment Insurance) unless otherwise indicated. *Medical Secretary wages from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Demand is determined by the number of job postings in the region over the past twelve months.
- Occupational growth potential gathered from Burning Glass.
|Course Number (Credits)||Min Grade||Health Studies Certificate||Health Information Tech AAS||Nursing AAS||Physical Therapist AAS||
Surgical Technology AAS
|Paramedic AAS||Health Science AS||Healthcare Admin AS|
|HPR 101 (3)||Intro to Health Professions||Required||Required|
|LIB 110 (1)||Research Skills in Health Science|
|CIS 100 (3)||Information and Computer Literacy||Elective||Required||Required|
|BIO 121||C+||Intro to Biology||Pre-Req||Pre-Req||Pre-Req||Pre-Req||Pre-Req|
|ENG 103 (3)||Freshman Composition and Literature I||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|HFA 204 (1)||Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation||CPR Required||CPR Required||CPR Pre-Req|
|HIT 101 (3)||C+||Intro to Health Information Technology||Required|
|HIT 120 (3)||C+||Medical Terminology||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|ENG 259 (3)||Professional and Technical Writing||Elective|
|CHE 151 (3)||C+||Pre-Req||Pre-Req||Pre-Req||Pre-Req|
|MAT 104 (3)||Quantitative Reasoning||Elective||AR||Required|
|MAT 118 (3)||Required||Required||Required|
|PSY 103 (3)||Psychology||Elective||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|BIO 171 (4)||C+||Anatomy & Physiology I||Course Sub||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|BIO 172 (4)||C+||Anatomy & Physiology II||Course Sub||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
- AR= Admission Requirement; Student must complete or meet competency
- Required= Required for degree completion
- Elective = Course can be used as an elective