Responsibility for Maintenance: Admissions
Date of most recent changes: June 19, 2018
I. Policy Statement
Candidates for Admission to Onondaga Community College must satisfy the minimum requirements set forth in this policy, as well as all requirements, procedures, rules and regulations established by State University of New York and/or the College Office of Registration and Records from time to time. This policy is not intended to establish an all-inclusive list of requirements for admission or factors considered in the application process. Except as set forth in this policy or required by applicable law, the College reserves the right to make discretionary admissions decisions and to admit or deny candidates for any lawful reason.
II. Reason for Policy
This policy is intended to ensure that the College’s admission decisions are based upon sufficient information and are rendered in a manner consistent with applicable law.
III. Applicability of the Policy
All College personnel having a role in the admission process, and all prospective applicants for admission, should be familiar with this policy.
IV. Related Documents
- Onondaga Community College Catalog, “Applying to OCC” (includes general procedures and specific requirements for particular situations)
- Onondaga Community College Policy A6: Degree/Certificate Requirements
- State University of New York Community College Admissions Guidelines
- New York State Education Law Sections 661; 6304(1)(a)(i)
|Subject||Office Name||Title or Position||Telephone Number|
|Admissions||Vice President, Enrollment Management||(315) firstname.lastname@example.org|
Certain Admission Requirements
Admission to any specific program offered at the College will be based upon consideration of the following criteria:
- Completion of a State University of New York (SUNY) application form, an Onondaga Community College paper or an Onondaga Community College on-line application
- Presentation of an official high school transcript showing proof of graduation from high school with a regular high school diploma, as defined by the New York State Education Department (applicants still in high school should send most recent transcript at time of application and a final is required when available) or a high school equivalency diploma (GED or TASC); or for home schooled students, a letter from the superintendent of the school district within which the student resides, stating that the student's home schooled instruction is substantially equivalent to the instruction offered by that student's local high school; or for students who do not have a U.S. high school diploma or the recognized equivalent, a passing score on a federally approved ability-to-benefit test that has been identified by the NYS Board of Regents; and a college transcript if applying as a transfer student
Full Opportunity Acceptance Program
Subject to fulfillment of other generally-applicable requirements, the College will offer acceptance in its programs to all applicants residing in Onondaga County who graduated from high school within the year prior to application, and to all applicants who are high school graduates and who were released from active duty with the armed forces of the United States within the year prior to application.
Once an applicant has been accepted by the College, s/he may defer enrollment at the College for up to two semesters. If s/he has not matriculated by then, and later chooses to attend the College as a matriculated student, s/he must begin the application process again.
VII. Forms/Online Processes
- Onondaga Community College Application Procedures, including Procedures for On-Line Application: https://www.sunyocc.edu/applynow
Approved by OCC Board of Trustees April 3, 2006
Updated and approved by the OCC Board of Trustees June 16, 2015
Updated and approved by the OCC Board of Trustees June 19, 2018