A unique opportunity for TA's at Syracuse City School District!
- Courses will directly relate to your work as a TA.
- You'll work alongside other TA's so that you can connect with each other, support each other, and connect the coursework to your work experience.
- Each course you complete will count toward professional development at SCSD.
- You'll take your courses from the convenience of SCSD, not on OCC campus.
- After 3 years, you'll graduate with an Associate's Degree in Humanities & Social Sciences -- a solid foundation for your career, or you can transfer your credits to a four-year school to continue working toward a Bachelor's Degree!
- Tuition assistance provided
Teaching Assistants provide instructional services to students under the general supervision of a licensed or certified teacher.
Essential job duties include:
- Work with individual pupils or groups of pupils on special instructional projects
- Provide the teacher with information about pupils which will assist the teacher in the development of appropriate learning and behavioral experiences
- Assist pupils in the use of available instructional resources, and assisting in the development of instructional materials
- Utilize their own special skills and abilities by assisting in instructional programs in such areas as: foreign languages, arts, crafts, music and similar subjects
- Assist in related instructional work as required
- Assist students with specific health-related activities as appropriate
32.5 hours per week, 10 months per year
New York State Level I, Level II, Level III, Pre-Professional, or Continuing teaching assistant certificate is required.
Benefits you will receive while working as a TA for SCSD include:
- Paid time off
- NYS Employees Retirement System
The current new hire salary for SCSD Teaching Assistants is $20,464 per the Unit 8 contractual agreement.
To apply to the program you must:
- Be employed as a Teaching Assisant with SCSD. To apply for a position visit www.scsd.us/careers
- Apply to and be accepted into the Liberal Arts & Sciences: Humanities & Social Sciences A.A. degree program at OCC