Transferring to OCC

Whether you have outstanding debt from another college or struggled your first time, OCC can help.   

Completing your college degree is going to open up so many more opportunities for you over the course of your life and increase your immediate and long-term earning potential.  It really is worth striving for, but you don't have to go at it alone.  Our devoted teams of faculty, advisors, success coaches, tutors, and support staff are here to help you get from where you are to where you want to be! 

Pick up right where you left off.

SUNY now allows you to transfer your completed college credits even if you still owe money.  This way you can resume working on your degree at a new school without losing any progress you've made.  OCC can help you make it to the finish line.

Transfer Credit Policy

  • College credits are evaluated based on previous institutions’ accreditation statuses (must be regionally accredited), course content and applicability to your OCC degree program. Credits from some specialized institutions (such as Business or Trade schools and Technical Institutes) may not be accepted.

  • A minimum grade of C or better is required to award transfer credit.

  • At least twenty-four (24) of the academic credits for the degree must be completed at Onondaga Community College, subject to specific program restrictions. Certificate programs are calculated proportionally.

  • Grades earned at previous colleges will not apply to your grade point average at Onondaga.

  • Some programs at OCC may require specific grades for some courses.  Please note: Some programs, such as NET.AAS and NUR.AAS, require a grade of C+ or better for certain core courses.

  • Transfer credit for BIO 171 and BIO 172 (Anatomy and Physiology I and II) will only be awarded if students completed both courses at the same institution. Students who completed the sequence at two different schools will need to supply syllabi for each course in order to confirm that all organ systems have been covered to the appropriate depth. If it is determined that the combination of courses taken at two different schools is not equivalent to BIO 171/BIO 172, students can choose to register for BIO 170 to make up topics that were missed. BIO 170 is a 1-credit course where students sit in on certain sessions of a currently running 171 or 172 course. Students will receive a grade for their performance in this course.


Generally within a week following receipt of transcript. May take up to three weeks during peak times (January/August) or if academic department consultation is needed.

Transfer Equivalencies

Transfer Credit Pre-Approval for Current Students

Current Onondaga students interesting in taking a course at another institution and transferring it back to Onondaga may email to guarantee how the course will transfer. The following information must be included in the email request.

  • Student Name
  • OCC ID
  • Current Academic Program
  • Name of Transfer Institution
  • Course Number, Title, and Number of Credits
  • Course description/syllabus

Transfer Credit Evaluation Appeal Process

Students wishing to appeal the evaluation of any transferred courses should contact the Transfer Credit Evaluation Coordinator at to request re-evaluation of those courses. Students may be asked to provide a copy of the course description and syllabus from the original institution. The Transfer Credit Evaluation Coordinator may consult with the department chair for the involved discipline or the Provost regarding the final designation of the course. 


  • If you are currently enrolled at another college you can send the most recent official transcript with completed coursework. You will need to send a final transcript at the conclusion of the current semester for credit evaluation of courses in progress.
  • AP (Advanced Placement) transcripts and CLEP (CEEB College Level Examination Program) scores must come directly from College Board. Transfer credit for these courses will not be awarded from a high school transcript. Please visit to request a copy to be sent to Onondaga. In most cases, we will accept scores of 3 or higher on AP exams and a 50 or higher on CLEP exams in applicable courses.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) credit is awarded for courses taken in high school with an HL designation only and a score of 4 or higher. An IB transcript must be submitted to receive credit. A high school transcript showing completion of IB courses does not suffice.
  • Credits earned through correspondence courses such as the U.S. Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) may be accepted at Onondaga based on college proficiency examinations, college boards, advanced placement, or similarly recognized testing procedures.
  • If you completed college courses in high school (other than OCC), you must request an official transcript from those colleges in order for the credit to be evaluated. Transfer credit is not awarded from high school transcripts.

Ready to get started?

The first step is to apply It's fast, easy, and free!


Ready for your next steps? 
Our team is here for you.

Phone: (315) 498-2221

Book an appointment with us!