Applying for Graduation
Students ready for graduation will automatically have graduation noted for them in the Office of Registration and Records. Students will then be notified via OCC student email that a grad app has been created and they are pending graduation. If you have not received an email and believe you are ready to graduate, please reach out to your advisor or contact the Office of Registration and Records at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By now you would have received an email from the College indicating you are a candidate for graduation.OCC will host an in-person Commencement Ceremony on Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm at the SRC Arena and Events Center. Please RSVP to the 2022 Fall Commencement by December 2, 2022.
8 Schools of OCC • Commencement RSVP
- There is no limit to guests.
- Face masks will be optional while inside the SRC Arena.
- All graduates at Commencement will have a photo taken with the President upon receipt of diploma. Family members can take photographs from their seats - they are to remain seated at all times.
- No balloons, air horns or large signs allowed.
We will continue to provide updates as more details are finalized.
Day of Commencement
Congratulations on your pending graduation! Here's the information you need for Commencement on Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 5:00pm:
- Parking will be available for attendees in Parking Lot 13.
- Doors open at 4:00 pm.
- Graduates, please enter the main SRC Arena doors and proceed to Allyn Hall in regalia (cap and gown) to check in and line up. Students will be lining up by School. Please also wear your respective academic dress (honor codes, pins, etc.) All of these can be purchased and picked up at the Bookstore starting soon! Please do not wait until the day of the ceremony to get your cap and gown, cords and pins. They will NOT be available.
- Guests, please proceed to the Arena and be seated in the bleachers. It is recommended to be seated prior to 5:00 pm when the ceremony starts.
- Tickets are not being distributed/collected for the event.
We look forward to celebrating with you and your guests on this special day!
- Graduation regalia (cap and gown) is available in the OCC bookstore. OCC Barnes and Noble Bookstore hours are: Monday – Thursday 9:00a – 5:00p, Friday 9:00a – 1:00p, Saturday & Sunday – Closed
- Academic dress (honor cords, PTK stoles, etc.) will be available to pick up soon at OCC Barnes and Noble Bookstore. These items will NOT be available to pick up the day of Commencement.
PTK & Honors Students
PTK & Honors students' regalia is provided by the OCC Foundation. Eligible students should bring their Lazer Card to the bookstore to pick it up. Any student who is unable to get to campus to purchase their regalia but wishes to have it prior to commencement day should contact the bookstore by phone.
What does the term “matriculate” mean?
A matriculated student is one who meets all admission requirements, has been formally accepted into a degree or certificate program, and is enrolled at the college. A student must be matriculated in his or her program in order to apply for graduation.
How many credits do I need to graduate?
Please refer to the College catalog to review your program’s overall credits and degree requirements. All A.A.S., A.A. and A.S. degrees include at least 60 academic credits. Certificate programs include at least 30 academic credits.
How do I have transfer credits evaluated?
The application of transfer credits is subject to department guidelines. Approval from the Office of Registration and Records must be obtained in order to transfer in credits for the degree. Therefore, official transcripts from other institutions from which you wish to earn transfer credit must be mailed to the Office of Registration and Records in the Gordon Student Center. Students are encouraged to have transfer credits evaluated upon acceptance to Onondaga, so credits are in place prior to applying for graduation. Please note that at least 24 credits must be completed at Onondaga.
Can I earn more than one degree from Onondaga?
You may earn more than one degree at Onondaga. A concurrent degree is one in which the student pursues courses of study in two disciplines leading to degrees in both at the same time. A dual degree is one in which the student graduates in a program, and then pursues another degree.
For multiple degrees, a minimum of twenty of the academic credits for any associate degree and ten academic credits for any certificate must be credits which have not been applied to a previously or concurrently awarded degree. If you are interested in pursuing more than one degree you should meet with your advisor.
What is a minor? How do I declare a minor?
Minors are specialized areas of study consisting of twelve credits of approved coursework. If you have interest in one of these areas, consult your advisor on how to set up your class schedule to complete the required coursework. Minors in any of these areas are not open to students who are majoring in that same area. Please fill out our online form.
How do I apply for graduation?
There is no need to apply for graduation. The Office of Registration and Records will automatically create a grad app for you once your degree evaluation is pending completion. You will receive an email notifying that a grad app was created for you. You may check your degree audit progress in Student Planning.
When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed to the current address on file 8 -10 weeks after the end of the term. If you have recently had or anticipate having an address change after graduation, please contact the Office of Registration and Records at email@example.com to notify them of the change. Students with outstanding balances on their accounts will receive a notification via email that their diplomas are being held. Per SUNY policy, we retain these for one year. Onondaga Community College must retain any unclaimed diplomas for a minimum of one year, per the SUNY Retention and Disposition policy. After that time, graduates will be required to reorder their diploma.
How do I replace my diploma?
To order a replacement diploma, fill out the Diploma Replacement Form and return it to Student Central. Payment in the form of check or money order must accompany the form for a diploma to be ordered.
How are honors determined for graduation?
Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude will be recognized at the commencement ceremony based on the cumulative GPA recorded prior to commencement. For May graduates, the cumulative GPA at the end of the fall term will need to be used as final grades from the spring term are still in progress. However, honors will be designated on your official diploma based on the student’s final cumulative program GPA.
- Cum Laude 3.4 - 3.59
- Magna Cum Laude 3.6 - 3.79
- Summa Cum Laude 3.8 - 4.0
2021 Graduation Ceremony Recordings & Photos
- Commencement Photos 9 a.m., 1 p.m., & 5 p.m.
- Watch the 9 a.m. Ceremony
- Watch the 1 p.m. Ceremony
- Watch the 5 p.m. Ceremony