Onondaga Community College's chapter of international honor society Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) has created an "Adulting 101" series of classes aimed at helping students gain the skills they need for a successful transition to adulthood. All of the classes are free, fun, and invaluable. The series begins next month with "Cooking with Casey," a Zoom cooking class with College President Dr. Casey Crabill. Class will be Thursday, November 5th at 6 p.m. All of the Zoom information is at the bottom of this story.
While the main audience for the class is students, any member of the campus community can participate. Dr. Crabill will be showing participants how to cook two staples of American life; macaroni & cheese and brownies. To help you prepare for the class, PTK has assembled a list of ingredients and cooking utensils needed.
Macaroni & Cheese
- 3/4 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter (unsalted preferred but salted will work)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (can also use cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- optional add-ins: 1 teaspoon mustard or chopped green chiles. Use your imagination!
For the Brownies
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt - leave out if using salted butter
- optional add-ins: chopped nuts, chocolate chips, m&m's. The sky is the limit!
Cooking Utensils Needed
- Large saucepans
- 1 mixing bowl for the brownies
- 1 baking dish for the mac & cheese - approximately 9 x 13 in size
- 1 baking dish for the brownies - approximately 8 x 8 in size
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 3 large spoons for mixing
And here is the Zoom information for Cooking with Casey!
- When: Thursday, November 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- Zoom link:
- Meeting ID: 918 3537 6334
- Passcode: Cooking