Out-of-State Complaint Process

Out-of-State Complaint Process

Distance learning students from out of state should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints with Onondaga Community College. The process for filing a complaint related to academics can be found in the  Academic Rules - Reporting a General Academic Concern. All other discrimination and equity issues should be filed with the Chief Diversity Officer which can be reached by phone at (315)-498-2565.

However, if an issue cannot be resolved by Onondaga Community College, you may file a complaint about Onondaga Community College with your State by referring to the Directory of State Authorization Agencies and Lead Contacts as developed by the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) in compliance with federal Department of Education regulations. You may also file a complaint with our accrediting agencyMiddle States Commission on Higher Education.