A1: Matriculation/Curriculum Change

Responsibility for Maintenance: Registration and Records

Date of most recent changes: June 26, 2023

I. Policy Statement

A matriculated student is one who has been admitted to and has declared a particular degree or certificate program at Onondaga Community College. A non-matriculated student is enrolled in College classes but has not been admitted formally to a degree/certificate program, or has lost matriculated status because of unsatisfactory academic performance or as otherwise set forth in this policy.

Matriculated students who have discontinued enrollment for a period of two consecutive years will be placed on inactive status. Inactive students who wish to regain active status should complete the Returning Student Application Form. Matriculated students may request academic program changes through the procedure set forth in this policy.

II. Reason for Policy

This policy is designed to facilitate efficient use of the College’s academic resources by establishing standards for matriculation and academic program change.

III. Applicability of the Policy

All full- and part-time students at the College, as well as College employees responsible for making determinations affecting students’ matriculated status, should be familiar with this policy.

IV. Related Documents

V. Contacts  

SubjectOffice NameTitle or

Re-enrollment - general


Academic Program Change

Registration and Records (315) 498-2350registrar


VI. Procedures


Students placed on inactive status due to a discontinuance of enrollment for two years or longer must complete the Returning Student Application Form.

Academic Program Changes  

A matriculated student may request an academic program change through the Academic Program Change Request form. 


Students who have lost matriculated status because of unsatisfactory academic performance must follow specific requirements for reinstatement. See Policy A5 Academic Standing.

In unusual or extenuating circumstances, the Scholastic Standards Committee will consider exceptions to the requirements of this policy. Petitions to waive the academic rules are available at Student Central.

VII. Forms/Online Processes


Approved by OCC Board of Trustees April 3, 2006

Updated and approved by the President January 25, 2010

Updated and approved by the President June 26, 2023