The Student Conduct Process
The process emphasizes the well-being of all students involved and strives to create an environment where education about impact limits repeat offense. The determination of responsibility will be made on whether there is a preponderance of evidence/ information that the student(s) violated the Code of Conduct.
How it works
The following is the structure in which student conduct cases are heard and ruled upon apart from reported violations that fall under Title IX. That process can be found by clicking on the Title IX link on the right sidebar.
- When Onondaga Community College receives notice of a possible violation of a college policy or residence hall regulation, a Student Conduct Administrator (SCA) will determine if the report requires further attention which may lead to disciplinary charges and sanctions.
- If it is determined that there may have been a violation of the Code of Conduct that warrants a conduct hearing, the SCA will meet with the student(s) for a student conduct hearing to discuss the incident.
- If the student needs to reschedule the hearing, they will be granted a one-time postponement of up to five (5) days if the request is received at least 24 hours prior to the hearing
- At this hearing, the student(s) will be given an opportunity to share their side of the story. During this hearing, the student is expected to be honest and encouraged to ask questions.
- If a student fails to attend the conduct hearing with the SCA, the hearing may take place in the absence of the student. The student is responsible for completing all assigned sanctions and maintains the right to appeal the decision to the Dean of Students.
- The SCA shall render a decision based on statements and evidence presented in the hearing. The decision will consist of the following options:
- Find the student “responsible” for violation of one or more allegations.
- Find the student “not responsible” for violation of one or more allegations.
- Dismiss one or more allegations based on insufficient evidence.
- The SCA will notify the student of their findings, in writing, sharing rationale as to why that decision was made.