Vet Benefits at OCC: Must haves

What to bring when visiting our office 

Make the Veterans Affairs Office your first stop at OCC!  We can help you fill out your VA forms quickly and accurately.  

  • Member 4 copy of DD-214 discharge papers
  • VA Certificate of Eligibility -- if you have previously applied for VA education benefits.
  • DD-2384-1 form (Reservist or National Guard applying for Chapter 1606 Selected Reserves). This form is obtained from your unit.
  • Any "kicker" (additional education benefits contract) documentation.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Authorization Form (1905). Provided by VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment counselor if you will be receiving Chapter 31 education benefits. 

GI/Montgomery Bill Self-Verification

Almost everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30), MGIB-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), or Reserves Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month.  Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone 1-877-823-2378.

Also, to speed up receipt of your VA funds, we recommend you set up a direct deposit before your first payment.  The difference in receipt time is 3-5 days.  Call 1-877-838-2778 to set up direct deposit.

Post 9/11 Enrollment Verification

As of January 2022, Post 9/11 students who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and /or kicker payments are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month.

Students will receive a text from the VA asking them to Opt-In text verification.  You will have 14 days to respond to the text after that you will be automatically enrolled in email verification.

If you fail to verify for two consecutive months your MHA and/or kicker will be placed on hold.  You will need to call the Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 to verify your enrollment and have your payments released.