Have you officially resided in New York State but outside of Onondaga County in the past year?  You may be able to reduce your tuition to resident rate! 

You can do this by submitting a Certificate of Residence to the Student Accounts office. This certificate allows us to bill your home county for part of your tuition costs. Without one, you will be considered a non-resident of NY and will have to pay the non-resident (double) tuition rate for your registered courses. 

  1. You obtain a Certificate of Residence from the county of your permanent residence. You will need to complete an application and show proof of residency to your home county. Contact your county treasurer/finance office for instructions on how to apply for your Certificate of Residence. Please see the drop-down box below for your county's contact information.
  2. Many counties have their own Certificate of Residence Affidavit and Application form and require you to use that. If they do not require a specific form you can use the generic form below. 

    DO NOT SEND THE COMPLETED APPLICATION TO THE COLLEGE. It must be submitted to your home county; they will process the application to provide you with an approved Certificate of Residence.

  3. Once you have received your approved Certificate of Residence from your home county you can email the document as a PDF to the Student Accounts Office at cor@sunyocc.edu. Pictures of Certificates of Residence will not be accepted. If you are unable to email the Certificate of Residence as a PDF you can mail it to:

    Onondaga Community College
    Student Accounts
    4585 West Seneca Turnpike
    Syracuse, NY 13215

    We advise you to keep a copy of your Certificate of Residence for your records. 
Certificates of Residence must be submitted to the Student Accounts office NO LATER THAN 30 days from the first day of the semester. Contact your County Treasurer's Office to see if it has other restrictions or requirements. Certificates are valid for one year from the date of issuance and a new one must be submitted after the current one expires to continue receiving the resident tuition rate. Students who do not submit a Certificate of Residence within the timeframe outlined below will be charged the non-resident (double) tuition rate. 

Certificate of Residence Timeline for 2021-2022

Semester 1st Day of Classes Start Date to Obtain CR Deadline to Submit
Fall 2021 August 30, 2021 July 1, 2021 September 29, 2021
Winter 2022 January 3, 2022 November 4, 2021 February 2, 2022
Spring 2022 January 31, 2022 December 2, 2021 March 2, 2022
Summer 2022 Sessions starting: June 6, 2022 April 7, 2022

July 6, 2022

Summer 2022 Session starting: July 13, 2022 May 14, 2022

August 12, 2022

Students who are residents of Onondaga County can complete the form below to update their residency status to in-state/in-county.

Before completing the form please read the following information regarding residency:

Students living in Onondaga County solely for the purpose of attending college are not considered permanent residents of Onondaga County. Generally, the legal residence of a college student under the age of 24 is presumed to be the residence of the parent, guardian, or any other permanent residence prior to the student's enrollment at the College; unless the student can provide documentation that they are financially independent or have been deemed an independent student by our Financial Aid office.

Prove Onondaga County Residence