Onondaga Community College has been named "Military Friendly" for the 2023-2024 academic year. The designation is in recognition of the services provided to student veterans and their families in the Office of Veterans and Military Services.
The Office of Veterans and Military Services is located on the second floor of Coulter Hall. It operates under the leadership of Steve White, Assistant Director of Veterans Affairs, and Erin Elliott, who serves as a Technical Assistant. White and Elliott support military service members, veterans, and dependents, while guiding them toward their education goals. OCC's degree and certificate programs are approved for VA education benefits in accordance with the student's chapter eligibility.
OCC's Student Veterans regularly voice their gratitude for the support they receive in the Office of Veterans and Military Services.
- "The level of attention and quality they provide to Veterans who come into this office far exceeds what I expected. For me this is the gold standard that every Veterans office I go to from here on out will be judged by." - Craig Osbeck
- “I wouldn’t be where I am without the office. The resources here are invaluable and make the experience so much better. And you can walk in here and feel like you have a family. I walk in here and every time I see Veterans I’ve never met. It doesn’t matter what branch you are. There's a brotherhood and sisterhood. I'm so glad I came here. I couldn't have picked a better place to start my education pathway." - Jason Kramer
- "The office is an amazing place where we have a sense of community with people you can talk to. We help each other move on from the military lifestyle and transition into an academic mindset." - Brian McDonald
- “Steve is very helpful and very quick to answer questions. I can come in almost any time of the day and his door is open. Being a Veteran here is like being part of a family. I love it in here. It’s very friendly.” - Rebekah Wade
- "Whenever I need to find a place to work I can always come here and they are always welcoming. Mr. Steve is very very helpful. Whenever I have questions about anything he's always here." - Mae Ann Bestul
- "I'm in here all the time. They've tried to get rid of me and they can't! This office is a bit of a sanctuary. When I'm having a bad day I come in here and those two give me a little pep talk." - Kelsey Goddard
Congratulations to the Office of Veterans and Military Services for this latest honor!