Transferring from OCC

Approximately 70-80% of OCC students plan to continue their education and earn a bachelor degree at a 4-year institution after attending OCC. With proper planning, transferring from OCC can be a smooth process.

Onondaga Community College can help you plan for transfer through the following activities:

  • Facilitating workshops on the transfer process
  • Providing information on different types of “transfer agreements”
  • Arranging Transfer Fairs and “Advisor in Residence” Visits
  • Explaining transfer requirements and preparation
  • Hosting tours to regional colleges and universities
  • Sharing information on programs provided by Regional Higher Education Center

Transfer Agreements at OCC

OCC has a variety of transfer agreements with many SUNY and private colleges and universities across the country.  Generally, these agreements are program to program, with grade requirements and specific courses to be taken at OCC.  Our transfer agreements allow associate degree graduates to transfer with full junior status.  Of course, students can, and do, transfer to colleges without transfer agreements.

Final decisions regarding acceptance at the transfer institution rests solely with that institution. A grade of D will rarely transfer if it is earned in a student’s major program of study; in certain cases, a D grade will not transfer under any circumstance.

Students should consult with an OCC advisor and a contact at the transfer college from the beginning of their academic program to make sure both OCC's degree requirements and transfer requirements are being met. 

Dual Admission Agreements

Dual admission agreements are for full-time students planning to pursue a baccalaureate degree, who have already chosen both a major and a specific transfer school.  Applicants must have strong academic records, including Regent's English, Social Studies, Science and Math.  Students who transfer credits from another institution are not eligible for any of our dual admission agreements.  Upon successful completion of the OCC degree, having met all conditions of the dual admission agreement, students are guaranteed acceptance at the 4 year college.  At present, Onondaga has dual admission programs for specific degrees with: 

  • Keuka College - Nursing BNS Program 
  • Keuka College - Social Work (AOE Program)
  • Le Moyne College
  • SUNY Oswego
  • SUNY Morrisville
  • SUNY Potsdam
  • St. John Fisher College
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University (For the Nursing program.) 

Transfer/Articulation Agreements by College

Unlike the dual admission agreements, articulation agreements do not guarantee acceptance.   Upon successful completion of the OCC degree, having met all conditions of the transfer agreement, students are often guaranteed that, if accepted, they will transfer with full junior status and no loss of credit.  Again, these agreements are program to program, with grade requirements and specific courses to be taken at OCC. Final decision on transfer credit and timeline to graduate rests with the transfer school.

Both general transfer agreements and dual admission agreements with four-year colleges are developed on a continual basis.

  • Bellevue University
  • Cazenovia College
  • Chamberlain College of Nursing
  • College of St. Rose
  • Cornell University - College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
  • CUNY SPS (New for Fall 2019)
  • Excelsior College   
  • Houghton College
  • Ithaca College
  • Keuka College - Nursing BSN Program (New in Fall 2018)
  • Le Moyne College 
  • Mansfield University
  • University of Maryland - University College
  • National University
  • Niagara University 
  • Paul Smith's College
  • RIT- Golisano College of Computing & Information Sciences 
  • St. John Fisher College
  • St. Joseph's College of Maine (New in Spring 2019)
  • SUNY Binghamton University
  • SUNY Binghamton University- School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (New in Fall 2018)
  • SUNY Buffalo State College
  • SUNY Canton
  • SUNY Cortland
  • SUNY College of Technology at Delhi 
  • SUNY Empire State College
  • SUNY Environmental Science & Forestry 
  • SUNY Morrisville
  • SUNY Oswego 
  • SUNY Plattsburgh
  • SUNY Polytechnic Institute
  • SUNY Potsdam 
  • SUNY University at Buffalo - School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (New in Fall 2018)
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University
  • University of Pittsburgh at Bradford
  • Utica College
  • Wells College

The Onondaga Community College Regional Higher Education Center is host to numerous colleges that offer both bachelor and master degree programs on the Onondaga campus. Degrees in Business, Criminal Justice, Hospitality, Humanities, Nursing Education, Social Work and others are available through these partner programs:

  • Bellevue University on-campus office located in Gordon G-240C
  • Keuka College on-campus office located in Mulroy Hall R-307 
  • St. John Fisher on-campus office located in Mulroy Hall R-207

Transfer Advising

Each of Onondaga's 8 schools provides the following transfer services and resources to help students with the process of researching, planning, selecting and applying to colleges and universities.

  • Resources to research and apply to transfer schools
  • Help with selecting the right courses at OCC that will transfer to your chosen 4 year school
  • Transfer Workshops and Information Sessions
  • Advisor in Residence (transfer recruiter visits at OCC)


Important Steps for Transfer:

  1. Research colleges
  2. Meet with transfer college representatives
  3. Visit colleges - contact the destination college’s transfer admissions office to arrange a visit or determine when open houses are scheduled. 
  4. Apply to colleges and send transcripts
  5. Apply for financial aid, grants & scholarships - listings found in financial aid web pages of destination colleges 
  6. Make housing, roommate, dining and transportation arrangements 

Transfer Credit Policy

  • College credits are evaluated based on previous institutions’ accreditation statuses (must be regionally accredited), course content and applicability to your OCC degree program. Credits from some specialized institutions (such as Business or Trade schools and Technical Institutes) may not be accepted.

  • A minimum grade of C or better is required to award transfer credit.

  • At least twenty-four (24) of the academic credits for the degree must be completed at Onondaga Community College, subject to specific program restrictions. Certificate programs are calculated proportionally.

  • Grades earned at previous colleges will not apply to your grade point average at Onondaga.

  • Some programs at OCC may require specific grades for some courses.  Please note: Some programs, such as NET.AAS and NUR.AAS, require a grade of C+ or better for certain core courses.

  • Transfer credit for BIO 171 and BIO 172 (Anatomy and Physiology I and II) will only be awarded if students completed both courses at the same institution. Students who completed the sequence at two different schools will need to supply syllabi for each course in order to confirm that all organ systems have been covered to the appropriate depth. If it is determined that the combination of courses taken at two different schools is not equivalent to BIO 171/BIO 172, students can choose to register for BIO 170 to make up topics that were missed. BIO 170 is a 1-credit course where students sit in on certain sessions of a currently running 171 or 172 course. Students will receive a grade for their performance in this course.


Generally within a week following receipt of transcript. May take up to three weeks during peak times (January/August) or if academic department consultation is needed.

Transfer Equivalencies

Transfer Credit Pre-Approval for Current Students

Current Onondaga students interesting in taking a course at another institution and transferring it back to Onondaga may email to guarantee how the course will transfer. The following information must be included in the email request.

  • Student Name
  • OCC ID
  • Current Academic Program
  • Name of Transfer Institution
  • Course Number, Title, and Number of Credits
  • Course description/syllabus

Transfer Credit Evaluation Appeal Process

Students wishing to appeal the evaluation of any transferred courses should contact the Transfer Credit Evaluation Coordinator at to request re-evaluation of those courses. Students may be asked to provide a copy of the course description and syllabus from the original institution. The Transfer Credit Evaluation Coordinator may consult with the department chair for the involved discipline or the Provost regarding the final designation of the course. 


  • If you are currently enrolled at another college you can send the most recent official transcript with completed coursework. You will need to send a final transcript at the conclusion of the current semester for credit evaluation of courses in progress.
  • AP (Advanced Placement) transcripts and CLEP (CEEB College Level Examination Program) scores must come directly from College Board. Transfer credit for these courses will not be awarded from a high school transcript. Please visit to request a copy to be sent to Onondaga. In most cases, we will accept scores of 3 or higher on AP exams and a 50 or higher on CLEP exams in applicable courses.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) credit is awarded for courses taken in high school with an HL designation only and a score of 4 or higher. An IB transcript must be submitted to receive credit. A high school transcript showing completion of IB courses does not suffice.
  • Credits earned through correspondence courses such as the U.S. Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) may be accepted at Onondaga based on college proficiency examinations, college boards, advanced placement, or similarly recognized testing procedures.
  • If you completed college courses in high school (other than OCC), you must request an official transcript from those colleges in order for the credit to be evaluated. Transfer credit is not awarded from high school transcripts.

SUNY College and Program Information

SUNY Transfer Paths 
A resource to review possible transfer paths at SUNY campuses.

SUNY Degree Program Search
A resource to review academic programs at SUNY campuses.

SUNY Course Equivalencies
A resource to review course equivalencies at SUNY colleges and universities.

SUNY Application
The on-line application for SUNY campuses. If you graduate from Onondaga Community College you get 7 applications for free. 


General College Search Resources

New York State Private College Search
A transfer college search engine for private colleges in New York State. 

Learn How to Become
A college search engine with New York state’s best colleges are ranked, explore outreach and assistance programs, find out the real cost of attending school, and see how New York colleges compare with those nationwide.

A common search tool with advice on how to plan a transfer from a community college to a four-year school.

The Common Application
The on-line application for many private schools. You are charged an application fee for each application.  Some colleges have an "in-house" on-line application which is sometimes free. Check with transfer admissions at schools you are considering.  Do not use this for SUNY schools. 

If you transferred to a 4-year from OCC before graduating, you can transfer coursework back to OCC after receiving your Bachelors to complete your associates degree.

Visit our webpage on Reverse Transferring to learn more!

Reverse Transfer Page

Questions? Contact the School for your degree program for any questions or support.